Thursday, May 26, 2011

life quest

when i was young and contemplated having a life verse, i couldn't really settle on one. but then my youth pastor spoke to us about the value of seeking wisdom as if we were searching for gold. he was animated about it's importance, citing a number of exhortations from solomon's writings in the book of proverbs. i was captivated by the passage:

[my father] taught me and said to me,
“Let your heart hold fast my words;
keep my commandments, and live.
Get wisdom; get insight;
do not forget, and do not turn away from the words of my mouth.
Do not forsake her, and she will keep you;
love her, and she will guard you.
The beginning of wisdom is this: Get wisdom,
and whatever you get, get insight.
Prize her highly, and she will exalt you;
she will honor you if you embrace her.
She will place on your head a graceful garland;
she will bestow on you a beautiful crown.” --Proverbs 4:4-9


as my life seemed extremely difficult, i felt inadequate to do any good in my situation. How i yearned to know how God would want me to think and act! consequently, james 1:5 became precious to me: "if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him." many times i have called out to God to grant me wisdom, and he has never failed to grant my request.

in that special passage that encourages women to excellence, one virtue that is extolled is wisdom. "she opens her mouth with wisdom" we are told in proverbs 31:26. i want that too.

and moses, in the one psalm authored by him, wrote, "so teach us to number our days that we may get a heart of wisdom" (psalm 90:12). let it be so, dear Lord.