Friday, September 9, 2011

contentment

contentment:
satisfaction,
fulfillment,
gratification,
ease of mind.

but when i stress:
if only. . .
i should be. . .
i should have. . .
then i am revealing
the dissatisfaction
within my heart--
dissatisfaction
with myself,
my circumstances,
my relationships.

the apostle Paul said that contentment
was a skill he learned
both in abundance
and want.
he did it all through Christ,
who strengthened him.

john piper says:
God is most glorified in us
when we are most satisfied in him.

and the scripture commands us:
be content with what you have,
for He Himself has said,
"I will never desert you,
nor will I ever forsake you."
so that we confidently say,
"the Lord is my helper,
i will not be afraid.
what will man do to me?"

O, Lord,
i want to meekly receive this word,
grafted into my heart,
bearing fruit.
Thank you.

1 comment:

The Imperfect Sojourner said...

I too would love to 'get there' in this matter. to know that no matter what I have or feel it doesn't take away from the fact that in Him I am complete and have the fulness of all I might need... and I should lean on that... but I let it go so easily!